Germany - Day 4

Today started out early again and we enjoyed one last breakfast with Christine and Hermann.  We gathered our things and crossed the bridge to catch our taxi to the train station.  We said our goodbyes and thanks to Christine and Hermann.  Hermann went with us all the way to the station to make certain we knew where to go and what to do.  What a dear man! 

The train ride through the countryside was pretty and smooth.  We were a little nervous but just kept following directions and when in doubt, asked one of the folks standing around and they were always quite happy to answer question and point us in the right direction.
 
Sandy and I spent the afternoon wandering the town center of Darmstadt after checking into our hostel. The hostel has a great big lake with a swimming area and we are disappointed that it is not as hot as it was the last few days in Regensburg, or we would have been swimming! I haven't ever stayed in a hostel before and it could be an interesting stay. Six women in one room?? Think of the baqthroom issues in the morning!! LOL LOL But we are all in the same boat and I am certain we will be just fine. We are looking at it as part of a great adventure! LOL

In the town square there is a nice fountain and some beautiful buildings to see. There was also really buff fella that couldn't take his eyes off of me but I finally ditched him!  He was just too slow for me, I can walk pretty fast.  Oh, those darn European men!  Sandy did capture a photo of us together to use for blackmil, but I fooled her and posted it below!

It is surrouded by shops of al kinds...shoes, clothing, shoes, department store, shoe store, deli, ice cream shop, shoes, grocery store, shoes and a $1.50 store. Are you seeing a theme here? It seems that this city really appreciates a nice pair of shoes! The $1.50 store is really a Euro store with everything for a Euro, but we called it a $1.50 store becuase that is what the exchange rate is! And I saw lots of things I have never seen in IGA Orion Food Center! Let me tell you they eat some odd (to me) things. For example we saw an advertisement for a deli that was selling what appeared to be a raw slab of fish covered with sauce on a bun in the shape of a fish. Now the bun looked good and it was really cute, but the raw fish slab just wasn't for me. Sushi is not part of my diet I'm afraid!

What was on my menu for tonight was sausages on rye bread with mustard and a wonderful Kasespatzle which is spatzle with cheese and onions. My goodness, was it good! Tasted like a really rich macoroni and cheese with homemade noodles. Greg, I don't think I will get my ice cream tonight. Just don't really want to walk clear downtown to buy it. It will have to wait till tomorrow.

I didn't really purchase anything significant today other than we finally determined what kind of bottled water to buy! Now the reason this is so significant is that it seems in Europe they like sparkling water and that is often what is served in restaurants when you ask for water. So we look for "still" water and that is much better. I guess my taste buds just aren't sophisticated enough to enjoy sparkling water 'cause I think it's awful stuff!

I guess we will turn in early tonight because there really isn't anything to do after we upload photos and get our blogging/journaling done. I am sure when I climb into the top bunk I will listen to my book for awhile. Then tomorrow is another day of adventure! Can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment