Yellowstone - Day 6


June 27, 2013...WOW!  What a day!  Yellowstone is absolutely one of the most awesome places on this earth!  From the beautiful lakes, to the bluest skies ever, the green forests, and the rocky terrain everywhere!  I absolutely cannot say enough about it!  Today was a day of wonders!

Waking up in Gardiner this morning we packed up quickly and ate a cold cereal or sandwich breakfast.  We are making great time now with the packing and really have found our rhythm. Our little group and our church van headed into Yellowstone to see what we could see.

We stopped at a store to buy ice and Dan came out with a cupcake with a candle stuck in it.  You see, today is Sandy’s birthday.  We sang to her as she made her wish and blew out the candle.  The cupcake was not nearly large enough for all the candles we would have needed, had we used one for each year!  Happy Birthday, San!

Bison were plentiful today and we saw many of them while viewing thermal features.  At one particular sighting three big males were grazing near a water feature.  Most of our party headed to the right along the roadside.  But I had spied a trail to the left which took me out closer to the bison.  I snapped away until he decided to amble towards me.  I backed up some and he stopped.  I waited.  He began to walk toward me again and I backpedaled.  He stopped.  I took pictures.  He started towards me again and seemingly was headed right to me.  That was it!  I got outta there fast and my loving family, down quite a distance, laughed and laughed!  I guess the picture of chubby Debbie running from a bison was a sight to behold!  They  were  wishing they had video.  I was glad they didn’t!  But I got some great photos!

At another stop we encountered three buffalo grazing pretty close to the road and stopped to watch them.  That’s the funny thing about Yellowstone…people just stop everywhere, all the time, wherever they want, to watch what’s going on.  Anyway, one of the buffalo started to wallow in a dirt patch.  He rubbed and scratched and finally was satisfied and got up and ambled off.  Gin was all excited and ran across the meadow over to that spot and snatched up a handful of buffalo fur.  A prize for sure!

Soon we encountered three large male elk placidly eating foliage under some pine trees.  They were beautiful and their antlers were in full velvet.  The largest one was a twelve pointer and he came so close to me I could have reached out and touched him.  We had a sturdy fence between us but I was ready to back up at a moment’s notice!  It was almost difficult to remember that he is not a cow in the barnyard that I am able to pet if I wanted to, but a wild creature that has simply become accustomed to lots of people staring at him.

The wildlife here is abundant.  We saw brown jays, pelicans, osprey, and much more.  We are looking for moose as we have yet to see that and of course, wolves.  That elusive creature is still on the wish list!

Now let’s talk about the mud pots.  Oh my gosh!  I cannot get enough of looking at these features.  Some of the blurping, bubbling, mud looks just like stuff Dan buys in buckets and slaps on walls.  It was really fun to watch and we all wished that we could feel it….minus the burning hot part!  Waterfalls and more beautiful scenery than I can possibly describe to you completed our tour for the day.

Supper took us to town in search of supper and shopping.  It was Sandy’s birthday and she got to choose the place.  It was a pizza and pasta place and I had buffalo ravioli.  It was yummy!  Then, going along with the buffalo theme, Gin and Tim purchased a buffalo hide to place on their floor in the great room as a rug. Very nice!

We finished off the evening with ice cream cones.  I had peach cobbler ice cream.  What a great day in this little piece of heaven on earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment