Today was about Royalty!

June 22, 2017 - This morning I woke up and had a whole day to decide what to do! No one had made a schedule for me and I was on my own! I worked on my blog a bit and decided to head downtown to the city centre where it appeared lots of things are going on. First I have to figure out how to get there and I consult a map, read the bus schedules, and figure out that just at the end of the block is my bus stop to get into town. Pretty handy. I walk down to the stop, consult the map there, dig out the correct money (1 pound 60 pence) and I wait a few minutes. Sure enough there's my bus number 24 that I need and I get on. Whew! First hurdle accomplished!

When I arrive downtown I immediately hear bagpipes being played across the square and one of the first things I see and take photos of it the Walter Scott Monument. It is the largest monument in the world dedicated to an author and its elaborate gothic architecture rises over 200 feet in the air and people can go up into it by climbing 287 steps. I could have climbed the steps but the coming down would have been hard on me so I just admired it from ground level. But it is awesome!

Next I walk to the end of the block where I see a ticket stand for the hop on and hop off buses. I had used them in London and they are great - you buy a ticket for 24 or 48 hours and then go wherever you want as many times as you want in the time period. I decide to take the route that takes me to the Royal Yacht Britannia because it is rather far away and I will be able to get a feel for the city this way and also, I had planned to visit this site.

We wind around the city and I listen to the commentary that goes along the route. We arrive at the sea and leave the bus to enter a three story mall. Some of you would be in shopping heaven! I follow the directions and go up to the entryway to board the ship that is moored right next to the mall. This ship has been decommissioned and is strictly used now as a museum. I have ear phones giving me details as I pass through the various rooms of the ship and it really is quite interesting. They even took their own car with them when they sailed! The royal sunroom looks like a comfortable place to relax and are decorated quite simply. The bedrooms are decorated in what I would say is a 1960 - 1970 look and quite simple for being royal. One interesting thing is that all the beds on the ship are singles. That is except for one. When Prince Charles and Princess Diana got married he ordered one of the rooms be fitted with a double bed for the honeymoon. But apparently the Queen and her husband do not share a room. Perhaps he snores horribly!

It is time for lunch so I decide to eat here. They have a beautiful dining room with real lilies on each table overlooking the sea. My sandwich and lemon cake were good. Not great, but filled me up and I moved outside to catch the hop on - hop off bus again.

The next stop for me is the Holyrood House. This is the royal residence of the Queen when she is in Scotland. The iron gates are gorgeous and the palace is huge! In the center courtyard there is a big fountain but it was not running. I heard that it only is flowing when the Queen is there. I must do some research to see it that is true or if it is just broken! lol Also, I was here on a good day because the Queen is coming next week and they will be closing the house to tours soon to prepare it for her arrival. Honestly, it is quite beautiful but does look a bit moth eaten and the drapes are faded and it is kind of dusty. Of course, with hundred of people traipsing through each day, I can see why it would need some work before her arrival. Holyrood is a working palace and there are meetings there often.

We were not allowed to take photos inside the rooms but we are allowed to walk through at our leisure admiring the paintings, tapestries, and antiques that are everywhere. When we emerge out he back there is an Abbey that was founded in the 1100's. It has been in disrepair since the 18th century but it is still quite fabulous. From the Abbey I enter the Queen's gardens and stroll the pathways where she may have walked and admire many beautiful statues. It was pretty but I was disappointed in the lack of color in the garden and I honestly expected it to be more grand. Ah well, budget cuts are everywhere. If you are ever in Edinburgh though, I would highly recommend that you see it once.

Back on the bus I take photos from the open air top level and the sun is shining and all is good with the world! I have been blessed to be here during possible the best weather possible and I am grateful. I also must tell you... the people are so very kind. None of the clerks snap at you and everyone is quite eager to help you with anything you may need and are quite polite while doing so. I am pretty impressed and look forward to more adventures tomorrow.

I find the correct city bus to take back to my flat and grab a sandwich at the little neighborhood store for supper. For now, I am tucked safely in my flat for the night and happy to be here. Good night all!

Monument honoring Walter Scott

Street bagpiper

Model of the Britannia

The Queen's bedroom


Fountain at Holyrood Palace

Ruins of the Abbey at Holyrood Palace

Statue in the Queen's garden

Interesting building photo taken from the bus







No comments:

Post a Comment