A Date with Charlie and Harry

June 26, 2017 -  My final full day in Scotland. So many things I still want to do but I have a date with Bonnie Prince Charlie and Harry Potter! When I was researching what I wanted to see while in Edinburgh, I learned that there was a new exhibit being displayed at the Museum of Scotland about Prince Charlie and the Jacobites and it was beginning its run while I was here. Then on Facebook, a friend had posted that there would be a Harry Potter one day exhibit honoring the 20th anniversary of  the first book, so I decided to see it also. Parts of Harry Potter were written in downtown Edinburgh and the library is nearby so it is the perfect venue.

I hop on my city bus #24 and head to the city centre where I grab another bus to the museum. I entered the museum, which is a free admittance btw, and immediately see a huge atrium above me with hanging planes four floors up. I rounded the corner and see one of their most famous exhibits, a stuffed sheep named Dolly. Remember Dolly? She was the first mammal to live that was cloned from an adult cell in 1996. The next thing that attracts my attention is an enormous lighthouse light. Such an eclectic gathering of items! But I was here mainly to see Charlie and after a bit more dallying, I head on up to the third floor for the Jacobite exhibit.

This special exhibit is a paid one and I have my ticket already printed and step right in. I started reading placards and looking at items from the 1700's and think of how I have heard some of these items described in the Outlander books and seen them in the series. Occasionally, I snap a picture as there is no sign anywhere saying that no photography is allowed and I wandered leisurely from room to room, following the story.

I see paintings and robes, and silver dinnerware. I see targes and clothing, and armor. It is all very interesting and I sit and listen to a short recorded presentation about Charlie's life. I have been to Culloden so am familiar with it but I listen to information about that battle too. As I am taking a photo a nice woman approaches me quietly and informs me that photography is not allowed. I apologize and put the camera away for the rest of the exhibit.

Soon I reach the end and enter the regular part of the museum again and decide that I am hungry when I see the cafe. I order a toasted chicken club sandwich and lemon poppyseed cake which I enjoy very much. I then wander the museum a bit more and then walk several blocks to the library.

When I arrive at the library there is a queue and I take my place. I see a few people milling about in costume and chat with the lady in front of me. After about 45 minutes I get to the head of the line and see a beautiful owl and take its photo. Then we enter a darkened and hushed room where there are several display cases holding Harry Potter memorabilia. There is a no photo policy here. I walk from case to case seeing the first manuscript, first book, that type of thing and soon am back on the street looking for my next adventure.

It always seems busy here and today especially so with a bunch of street performers plying their trade for a few coins dropped in a hat or tin can. I saw a Star Trek character floating above the platform and wondered how that was done! There were bagpipers filling the air with music. Fancy dressed mimes with big hats were bowing and waving at the crowds. And boy were there crowds today! There was a kind of buzzing, throbbing excitement in the air as I walked from place to place.

I saw vendors selling assorted items such as jewelry and tshirts as well as a whole tent of hats for both men and women. I saw several caricature artists drawing away. There was a young magician and a man snapping a bullwhip. Certainly something for everyone and since I was alone, I meandered slowly from place to place taking it all in.

Soon I came upon a ghost tour kiosk and decided to try out this one. It was led by a young woman in a badly fitting costume and off our group went following her. We stopped at various buildings and she spoke of the "horrendous" things that happened here. Her favorite word was horrendous and I soon tired of hearing it. When we came to a heart made of bricks in the pavement and were told a story of being bad - or good I can't remember - if you spit on it, I bailed. I guess I should have known by the look of the man that sold me the ticket as his wig and costume were really quite moth-eaten and kind of nasty looking. But I gave it a shot! lol

I watched a few more street performers and mimes and then decided to hop on the bus back to my starting place. I was weary of walking up and down the brick sidewalks which are quite uneven and found my mind wandering to the things I needed to do in order to be ready to leave quite early in the morning

While heading to my bus stop I decided to walk through Queen's Park below the Edinburgh Castle as I have not walked this way yet. The first thing I come upon is a beautiful floral clock! It is covered entirely in growing flowers and the clock hands that move are covered too. It is pretty neat and I stand and admire it for a couple of minutes. The gardens are filled with flowers and trees and lawn, and built on slopes. I notice that there are a lot of people sitting in the park on benches and blankets just enjoying the views and company. It appears that the people here enjoy their parks more here than we do at home and maybe it is because we have so much green space at home and they have much less here with many living in flats. At least that is my theory.

I make my way to the landmark that I have been using all week - a statue on top of a large boulder of a man riding a horse wearing a big fuzzy hat like you think of the Queen's guards wearing. This tells me that I am at Fredrick Street and where I need to grab my bus back "home." I board the bus and take one more look around knowing that I may never be in this spot in the world ever again and am a bit sad but home and family await me tomorrow and I have packing to do!

Dolly the first cloned sheep

Such a pretty view in this museum

Bonnie Prince Charlie - Looks a lot like Gin! lol

Princely robes

Princely dinnerware


A baby prince

My lunch

A wizard walking by


Owl and its handler




I loved this floral clock

It keeps correct time too!

Looking down into the Queen's garden

My landmark statue the last many days





2 comments:

  1. Debbie....thank you so much for sharing your trip with us....some of us will likely never get to Scotland, and your blog has brought it closer for us....I have truly enjoyed following your journey....Rose Bray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose for your kind words. I know that I am very lucky to have been able to do this trip and I am appreciative of that fact. I am so glad that you found some enjoyment in my journaling of it. Hugs to you till me meet again!

      Delete